Tyson Fury says December’s proposed bout with Anthony Joshua is “officially over” due to the contract not being signed by Monday’s self-imposed deadline.
The WBC champion opened the door for a ‘Battle of Britain’ with Anthony Joshua after it became clear a unification bout against Oleksandr Usyk would not occur this year.
Following drawn-out talks between the fighters’ camps, Fury declared last week that Joshua had until 5pm on Monday to put pen to paper on the terms.
Meanwhile, the deadline came and went without any official confirmation, Fury however, took to social media shortly to declare the heavyweight fight will not be taking place.
Fury said, “It’s official. D-Day has come and gone,” he said in a video message on his Instagram account. “It’s gone past 5 o’clock Monday, no contract has been signed. It’s officially over.
“Joshua is now out in the cold with the wolfpack. Forget about it. Idiot, coward, s***house, bodybuilder. Always knew you didn’t have the minerals to fight the Gypsy King.
“Regardless of what you say now, I don’t really care. Good luck with your career and your life, end of.”
Joshua’s promoter Eddie Hearn said last week an initial contract offer sent by Fury’s camp was not acceptable, but the parties were “working positively” to reach an agreement.
That led to Fury making his ultimatum to Joshua to sign the contract by Monday or forget about a fight that has been years in the making.
In response, two-time world champion Joshua – who has lost three of his past five fights – said he fully intended to sign the deal, but it was currently with his legal team.