Connect with us

News

Soyinka tells Davido not to apologize to Muslims over music video

Recall that the DMW owner had posted a 45-second long video clip of his signee, Logos Olori’s new song, ‘Jaye Lo,’ on Friday, July 21, promoting the song ahead of the official release. The video caused controversy as it portrayed men dressed as praying mallams, dancing in front of a mosque in a scene, rather than engaging in prayer.

Published

on

Nobel Laureate, Prof. Wole Soyinka has said that no apology should be offered by popular Afrobeat artist, David Adeleke, popularly known as Davido, to some Muslims who are requesting that he apologise over an alleged offensive video clip posted on his social media pages last week.

Recall that the DMW owner had posted a 45-second long video clip of his signee, Logos Olori’s new song, ‘Jaye Lo,’ on Friday, July 21, promoting the song ahead of the official release. The video caused controversy as it portrayed men dressed as praying mallams, dancing in front of a mosque in a scene, rather than engaging in prayer.

Recall that the ‘Fem’ crooner, after coming under heavy criticism, bowed to pressure and deleted the video on Monday.

While weighing in with his view on the controversy, Soyinka in a letter released Tuesday and titled “Davido Video,” dismissed the claim that dancing in front of a mosque is an act of provocation, insisting that it is an “affirmation of the unified sensibility of the spiritual in human.”

Reacting to the calls for an apology to the Muslim community by Senator Sheu Sani and some other aggrieved Muslims, Soyinka said, “It should come as no surprise that I equally and absolutely disagree with Shehu Sani if indeed, as reported, he has demanded an apology from Davido on behalf of the Muslim community.

“No apology is required, None should be offered. Let us stop battening down our heads in the mush of contrived contrition – we know where contrition, apology, and restitution remain clamorous in the cause of closure and above all – justice.”

Although Soyinka stated that he is yet to see the clip in question, he, however, maintained that dancing around a religious setting is a fundamental freedom all artists should be entitled to.

He said, “I have not seen the clip, but I insist on the right of the artiste to deploy dance in a religious setting as a fundamental given. Such deployment is universal heritage, most especially applicable in the case of Islam where a plot of land, even without the physical structure, can be turned, in the twinkling of an eye, into a sacral space for believers to gather and worship in between mundane pursuits.

He continued, “Dancing in front of a mosque cannot therefore, on its own, be read as an act of provocation or offence but as an affirmation of the unified sensibility of the spiritual in human. Let us learn to read it that way. Those who persist in taking offence to bed and serving it up as breakfast should exercise their right of boycotting Davido’s products – no one quarrels with that right. However, it is not a cause for negative and incitive excitation.”

Soyinka emphasizes that the lynching of Deborah Samuel Yakubu, a student at Shehu Shagari College of Education, by her peers in Sokoto over alleged blasphemy, along with the mistreatment and imprisonment of atheists like Mubarak Bala, are incidents that should provoke the anger of every member of society.

“It was not Davido’s music that lynched Deborah Yakubu and continues to frustrate the cause of justice. Nor has it contributed to the arbitrary detention of religious dissenters – call them atheists or whatever – such as Mubarak Bala, now languishing in prison for his 38th month. These are the provocations where every citizen should exercise the capacity for revulsion. “

Continue Reading

News

Stop cursing your leaders – Sanwo-Olu tells Nigerians

Published

on

Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu of Lagos State urged citizens to refrain from criticizing Nigeria and instead pray for its improvement.

Speaking at the 2024 Eid-el-Fitr celebration, themed “Allah will not Change the Way of the People until they Change What is in their Hearts,” held at the Lagos House, Ikeja, Sanwo-Olu, represented by his Deputy, Dr. Obafemi Hamzat, emphasized the need for Nigerians to adopt a positive outlook towards the country.

He stressed that divine intervention would only occur when people change their mindset and stop speaking negatively about Nigeria.

Sanwo-Olu encouraged Nigerians to have faith in their current leaders and pray for the nation’s progress, emphasizing the importance of collective prayer and positive thoughts for national development.

Continue Reading

News

Nigeria’s Onyeka reacts as he scores first premier league for Brentford

Published

on

Frank Onyeka is ecstatic after netting his debut Premier League goal for Brentford.

Onyeka swiftly made an impact for the Bees, entering as a late substitute during their 2-0 triumph against Sheffield United at the Gtech Community Stadium last Saturday.

The defensive midfielder found the back of the net in stoppage time, securing a crucial 2-0 victory for the home side.

This win marked Thomas Frank’s team’s first victory in their previous nine Premier League matches.

Onyeka took to social media to share his joy about the win and his goal, stating, “Crucial 3 points secured and thrilled to contribute with a goal ⚽️.” Brentford’s win alleviated concerns about relegation, propelling them to 14th place in the standings.

Continue Reading

News

Ondo Monarch dies months after ascending throne

Published

on

Julius Omomo, the Olojoda of Oda kingdom, passed away at the age of 83.

Ade Adelakun, a family source, confirmed the monarch’s demise on Sunday, stating that he died on Saturday after a brief illness.

Adelakun described Omomo as a humble, decent, and down-to-earth monarch, noting that his reign brought peace and development to the monarch’s domain.

Omomo ascended to the throne on May 30, 2023, and was formally crowned in December of the same year, albeit amid controversy.

Despite challenges to his nomination, including claims of an illegal installation by members of the ruling house, the state government proceeded with his installation, stating that no court injunction had been served against it.

Continue Reading

News

UNIBEN begins investigation following alleged student ‘assault’ on Akpata

Published

on

Olumide Akpata, the Labour Party’s gubernatorial candidate in Edo state, claims he was assaulted by certain University of Benin (UNIBEN) students.

During an interactive session at the senior staff club, Oshodin pavilion in UNIBEN, Akpata stated that he was “attacked by some students” who felt excluded from the meeting with the university’s senior staff.

In a widely circulated video, a UNIBEN student alleged being shot in the leg by one of Akpata’s security personnel. However, Akpata refuted the claim in a video response, asserting that he was actually the victim of the chaos.

Akpata further explained that the students disrupted the meeting, barricaded the gates, and caused a lecturer to sustain injuries.

He emphasized that the incident was an attempt by the present Edo government to disrupt the upcoming election in September.

Meanwhile, UNIBEN has announced the formation of a committee to investigate the “violent incident,” condemning the reported violence during Akpata’s visit.

Continue Reading

News

Matawalle slams Northern elders over anti-Tinubu comments

Published

on

The recent remarks made by the Northern Elders Forum regarding Bola Ahmed Tinubu’s presidency have sparked controversy.

The NEF expressed regret for their support of Tinubu in the 2023 general election, stating a preference for a candidate who is perceived as more inclusive and aligned with the interests of all regions.

In response, Minister of State for Defence, Bello Matawalle, criticized the NEF, calling their actions a political burden on the North and emphasizing that they lack the authority to speak for the entire region.

Matawalle defended Tinubu’s presidency, highlighting his victory in the 2023 election and the positive impact of his government on the Northern region.

He urged the NEF to prioritize unity and cooperation within the North and to support Tinubu’s presidency for the country’s progress.

Continue Reading

News

85% of Nigerians still enjoying electricity subsidy – FG

Published

on

The Federal Government has announced that despite the removal of electricity subsidy for Band A consumers, approximately 85% of Nigerians still benefit from the subsidy under the new electricity supply regime.

This revelation comes amid ongoing public outcry over the recent tariff hike by the Nigerian Electricity Regulatory Commission (NERC).

The Minister of Information and National Orientation, Mohammed Idris, highlighted that the subsidy withdrawal, expected to save over N1 trillion, will be reinvested to enhance power supply and social services.

He also underscored the need for equitable distribution, noting that a significant portion of the subsidy was previously enjoyed by affluent individuals and industrial clusters.

Furthermore, he emphasized the strengthened governance structure of the NERC under the new Electricity Act, enabling the agency to impose stringent penalties on electricity distribution companies for billing and supply-related infractions.

Continue Reading

TRENDING