The Kwara State judicial Panel of Inquiry on Police Brutality which was inaugurated yesterday by the Kwara State Governor, Mall. Abdulrahman Abdulrazaq today hold its inaugural Meeting in the State.
According to the press release signed by the Chairman of the Judicial Panel, Hon. Justice I.B Garba (RTD) the meeting was held in order to strategize, identify and adopt the most effective modus operandi to discharge its mandate.
The Press Statement Fully reads ;
UPDATE ON THE INAUGURAL MEETING OF THE KWARA STATE JUDICIAL PANEL OF INQUIRY ON POLICE BRUTALITY
21 October, 2020.
1. Following the directive of the National Economic Council chaired by the Vice President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, Prof. Yemi Osinbajo, GCON, His Excellency, the Executive Governor of Kwara State, Alhaji *Abdul-Rahman Abdulrasaq*, constituted a Panel of Inquiry to:
i. Receive and investigate complaints of police brutality, human rights abuses, violations and or extra judicial killings.
ii. Evaluate evidence presented/surrounding circumstances and draw conclusions on the validity of the complaints; and,
iii. Recommend compensations, prosecution and other remedial measures where appropriate.
2. The Judicial Panel of Inquiry had its inaugural meeting today in order to strategize, identify and adopt the most effective modus operandi to discharge its mandate.
3. Details of the various channels, such as electronic and print media through which the Panel can harvest petitions and complaints from the public will be made available soon.
4. The Panel is poised without fear or favour, in ensuring substantial justice for those who have lost their lives and properties as a result of the high handedness, brutality and carnage by security agents.
5. The Panel looks forward to the co-operation of the people in ensuring that justice is dispensed accordingly and on merit.
Signed:Hon. Justice I.B Garba (RTD)Chairman